Monday, January 15, 2007

"Everything you like now, I liked five years ago..."


Few people other than Will M., this week's mixtapecult contibuter, can get away with such outrageous comment! (Though he never actually said it) He was the chap who sported retro garb and listened to seemingly random 80's music well before its recent revival. Sure, you may have thought his tastes were odd then but now, I bet you wouldn't think twice about running out to buy a brand new, "distressed" Live Aid '85 replica tee from some high street vendor!

He sent me this aptly named mixtape late last year. It features submissions from Boards of Canada (labelmates with Squarepusher/Aphex Twin), Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine and others. I could write pages about the solid fuzzy soundscapes, the impassioned vocals, the droning guitars and so on, but I would rather you just hit play!

It's a short one so...

Enjoy





1 comment:

Mayowa said...

For the beat nerds amongst you, how delicious is the percussion on the Boards of Canada track, especially when it breaks down to just the guitar riff and beat